domingo, 26 de mayo de 2013

Food, music, and words

I can't believe it is Sunday night and here I am over a nice cup of hot chocolate and before quite a nice possible stretch of time for myself, to write the post I have been wanting to write for weeks.
Time goes by before my eyes and I am aware of changes and progress but somehow incapable of keeping track of all I would like to by writing things down. It truly is a pity because I know in a while I won't remember everything, despite my memory...
My sweet little baby is growing into a very nice little boy. His grandpa calls him "the world's most likeable baby". Well, it might be grandpa's love but A is a very nice boy indeed. He is always smiling and he also laughs sometimes specially upon seeing his big sister, which makes me smile. We don't know what he finds so funny. He spends long stretches of time concentrated on his toys and turns from back to tommy and the other way round. I've seen him slithering a little bit, always backwards but he is not really into moving yet. What he is really big on is food. We haven't officially introduced him to solids but he is so interested in whatever we eat that he grabs everything he can and brings it to his mouth. I am so happy we make our own bread. It will probably be the first thing we officially present. For the moment being it is fine with me that he grabs this and that.
Here he is; experimenting a slice of apple
Unlike his sister at his age, he seems to enjoy strolling around in the stroller and he even falls asleep there.

I just love this photo so I am sharing it once again
These past weeks we have been really into making our own "homemade everything", from muesli to baby wipes, and I am specially proud of my tile floor cleaner. I am so happy to be making products that are eco-and child-friendly, cheap, and which yield a productive activity with M at the same time! I mentioned our attempt at homemade bath bombs and body paint some weeks ago. The latest thing we've made is toothpaste and I like it quite a lot! I would like to share some recipes but will have to leave it for another post.

M has been doing quite a lot of new things as of late. She has shown an unusual and sudden interest in jumping and it is really funny to see her practicing her jumps here and there. She also shows a renewed interest in doing things all by herself. She climbs, goes to the toilet and flushes it when she's done, and changes clothes several times a day, which I understand it is a way of practicing her skills. She puts on and takes off jackets, backpacks, socks, and shoes. I love to watch her arranging her jacket on the floor and going around it to put it on the way she has seen children doing in our copy of "Raising an amazing child". Today she has put a red shirt on and asked me to button it up. However, I am already seeing her interest in buttoning and I have taken out our sun // rays activity for her to practice if she feels like it. The button snake has been an all time success so I wonder why these other activity is not appealing to her.

Her language acquisition progresses, as usual, and she is memorizing really long songs and poems as of late. She asks us to repeat a certain song or poem over and over until she is able to recite it for herself. Today I've seen her pronounce the words while I was singing some song she had asked and a while later she was humming it. Little by little English is becoming more present in our conversations and I realize she masters it all the same but the fact that the world around her generally speak Catalan makes her have this language as her first one. Some funny word games take place when mixing two languages. The other day I said something like "I am looking at myself" (we have a new mirror) and she told me "Marcel (her uncle) is in Tornabous". Notice that the words "myself" and "Marcel" sound quite similarly. I really cracked up. There are also the kind of mistakes one wouldn't make if there weren't a second language, as in "nens jugant el piano". She translates play the piano for toying the piano because in Catalan and Spanish one says something as "touch the piano" and she know play is also related to toys. And, talking about instruments, I really loved it the other day when M drew many lines in different colors and then told me "this is a guitar, do you want to play it?".

A change we've lately made at home is devoting a whole room to our instruments, among which there is the piano. We listen to music together every morning. M loves Ravel's Bolero and asks to listen to it nearly everyday. If I remember to take pictures of the room, I will share one. My activity as "the worse photographer ever" proves that I take photos totally at random, so instead of picturing any of the things I was mentioning, I leave you with an image of M playing with her animal models and cards.
Have a lovely week!!



No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario