lunes, 18 de febrero de 2013

DIY Octahedron mobile



I have wanted to share this post for weeks and I am happy to finally have the time to do so. Around six weeks we took the Gobbi mobile away -although we kept it as decoration in our dining room- and presented our variation of the Octahedron mobile.
I started making this mobile for the sake of making it when M was around 14 months and I didn't have the slightest idea that I would have another baby within a year. It might have been one of the omens that preceded my pregnancy. Another one was reading books and articles on Montessori for babies even when my actual baby was way past babyhood.
That was the start. I only finished it some weeks ago, when A was already past his fifth week and I was starting to thing that if I couldn't finish it on time, I would have to save it for another baby.
My original idea was to make the three blue, red and golden octahedrons but to simplify my life and since the only cardboard I had on hand was golden, I decided to modify the Montessori mobile a bit and make three octahedrons identical in color, different in shape, each octahedron being 1 cm bigger than the previous one. To make the mobile I upcycled a cardboard gift bag that glimmered, a thread of fishing line, and a pipe cleaner, so it really cost me nothing!
I liked the result! And A seems to like it as well, for he everyday looks at it for a short while. Nothing like the two hours or so I've read somewhere... Nope... He can concentrate on it for around ten or fifteen minutes, after which he starts whining. So are my children... not much time on their backs.

2 comentarios:

  1. It looks beautiful! Elliot had no interest in watching his mobiles, so I only made one to complement our purchased Gobbi, which was quickly mailed off to a pregnant friend. I'm quite impressed that you've managed the the time to create!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I always feel I should create more and write more... Many thanks for the encouragement, Melissa!!

    ResponderEliminar